For 5 Years - 12 Years
Fees and Additional Registration information can be found
under the program registration link on the main Parks & Recreation
Page or by clicking the link below.
GENERAL SWIM LESSON POLICIES
- Use of the facility/pool during open swim hours requires paid daily admission or use of membership.
- Facility/Pool usage is NOT included in swim lesson fees.
- Children are to remain out of the water until their instructor begins class with them and remain out of the water after class has concluded.
Introduction to Water Skills
Participants will participate in activities which allow them to feel comfortable in the water and enjoy water safely. Students will learn elementary aquatic skills such as breath control, underwater swimming, buoyancy, swimming on front/back and personal water safety.
(Prerequisite = Participation in Swim Test).
Level 1 Skills Learned
(must be completed independently)
- 5 continuous bobs-fully submerged showing bubbles.
- Bird arms & legs-5 yards-superman glide to wall 2 yards.
- Front starfish float, fast baby kick, big scoops, face in water-5 yards w/at least one independent breath-superman glide to wall 2 yards.
- Back starfish float, fast baby kicks, big backward scoop-5 yards-superman glide to the wall 2 yards.
- Jump into pool, tread 3 seconds & recover to wall unassisted.
Fundamental Aquatic SkillsParticipants explore simultaneous and alternating arm and leg action on the front and back. This lays the foundation for future strokes such as freestyle, backstroke and butterfly.
(Prerequisite = A Learn-To-Swim Level 1 certificate or demonstrated competency of Level 1 skills through a Swim Test)
Level 2 Skills Learned(must be completed independently)
- 10 bobs-tread (30 seconds)-bird arms & legs 15 yards.
- Kicks w/boards (front, back, bird)
- Freestyle-15 yards-rotary breathing.
- Backstroke-15 yards-stroke count with flags.
- Butterfly-15 yards.
- Ring retrieval-3 foot depth.
Stroke DevelopmentParticipants will learn to coordinate the front and back crawls. They will also learn elements for the butterfly and the fundamentals of treading water.
(Prerequisite = A Learn-To-Swim Level 2 certificate or demonstrated competency in Level 2 skills through a Swim Test)
Level 3 Skills Learned(must be completed independently)
- 10 bobs-tread (1 minute)-float (5 seconds)-elementary backstroke 20 yards.
- Freestyle-20 yards with streamline.
- Backstroke-20 yards with streamline.
- Butterfly-20 yards with streamline.
- Breaststroke-20 yards with streamline.
- Ring retrieval-5 foot depths.